St Patrick’s Cathedral, Gisborne Street
St Patrick’s is the Roman Catholic Cathedral and Diocesan Centre. Architect William Wardell was commissioned in 1858 to design the building. The gothic revival cathedral was consecrated in 1897 after a construction period of 40 years. The spire was completed in 1939.
Holy Trinity Church, Clarendon Street
Holy Trinity Church, an Anglican church, was consecrated in 1907. It replaced an earlier church that was burnt down in 1905. Known as the ‘chapter house’, the earlier building was built in 1864 on the corner of George Street and Trinity Lane.
East Melbourne Synagogue, 488 Albert Street
In early years, the Synagogue in Albert Street was closely connected to Jewish businesses and commerce in the City, while at the same time servicing the Jewish community in East Melbourne. The present site was purchased in 1871 and the foundation stone laid in 1877.
St John’s the Evangelist, 576 Victoria Parade
Standing on the prominent corner of Victoria Parade and Hoddle Street, St John’s is the parish church of many of our migrant families. Designed in the style of Venetian Gothic architecture, construction began after the laying of the foundation stone by Archbishop Mannix in 1924.
Melbourne Unitarian Church, 110 Grey Street
The first Unitarian Church was built in 1854 in Cathedral Place before the foundation stone was moved to a new site in 1965 in Grey Street. The Unitarian Church has always had a liberal and tolerant approach to religious ideas rather than adherence to strict doctrine.
Church of the Holy Annunciation, 186 Victoria Parade
This East Melbourne church is recorded as being the oldest Greek Orthodox church in Melbourne. Opened in 1902, the red brick church has a small semi-circular apse and arched windows.
St Peter’s Church, 15 Gisborne Street
The foundation stone of the first church in East Melbourne was laid in 1846 by Lieutenant-General La Trobe. The parish Church of St Peter, established by the Church of England is simply designed and captures the days when Melbourne was a small town. In 1863 alterations were made to the roof and the chancel and transepts were added.
The New Temple Church, Morrison Street
The new Temple Church was built in 1872-73. It was the first of two Swedenborgian churches established in Victoria. Designed by architect Lloyd Taylor, the main facade has a gothic-style window of three lights flanked by buttresses.
The German Lutheran Church, 22 Parliament Place
The Lutheran Church in Parliament Place was established by German Lutheran migrants after land was granted to the religious group in 1852. One of the most prominent parishioners was Baron Ferdinand von Mueller, the well-known botanist and director of Melbourne’s Botanic Gardens.
St Nicholas Antiochian Orthodox Church, Cnr Simpson Street and Victoria Parade
St Nicholas has provided a religious centre for many first, second and third-wave immigrants from Lebanon and other Middle Eastern and Eastern European countries. Consecrated in 1932, the church offers a pan-orthodox celebration with Divine Liturgy being chanted in Arabic, English, Russian and Greek languages.