A committee is elected annually to set directions and make decisions on behalf of members, and is supported by a network of six sub-committees, and other members who volunteer their time for particular activities..
The 2018-19 Committee is:
President Ian Mitchell
Vice-President Murray Hohnen
Secretary Stuart Hamilton
Treasurer Greg Watson
Other Committee Members
Greg Bisinella, Shelley Faubel, Bill Gillies,Tom Hogg, Marcel Mihulka, Moira Rayner & Anita Steinbarth
The current sub-committees and their 2018 convenors are:
- Heritage & Planning tba
- Parks & Gardens Murray Hohnen
- Amenities Greg Bisinella
- Membership tba
- Social & Communications tba
- Finance & Governance Greg Watson
Committee meetings are held monthly. Sub-committees generally also meet monthly.
The EMG office is located at ‘The Hut’, which is the red brick building on the corner of Albert and Powlett Streets, in Powlett Reserve.
The committee is supported by an administrative officer, Carolyn Fyfe, who works at the EMG office each Tuesday and Friday afternoons. She can be contacted on 9415 7570 or via email at email@example.com
Sub Committee Functions
Each Sub-committee consists of a convenor, who is a member of the main EMG committee, plus several other members drawn from the main committee and the wider EMG membership, thus bringing together people with relevant interests and capabilities. Unless specifically delegated authority to make decisions, the role of each sub-committee is to advise the main committee.
Convenor Greg Bisinella
The Amenities Sub-committee considers issues that affect residential amenity including:
- waste management
- street and footpath cleaning and maintenance
- graffiti management
- liquor licensing
Heritage & Planning
The Heritage & Planning Sub-committee considers and advises the EMG on development proposals and their likely impact on the heritage and amenity of East Melbourne and Jolimont. It recommends, in accordance with EMG policy whether objections or appeals should be made to proposals or planning decisions. It also advises only broader planning and heritage policies and issues likely to affect East Melbourne and Jolimont.
Parks & Gardens
Convenor Murray Hohnen
The Parks & Gardens Sub-committee considers issues relating to:
- public parks and gardens in East Melbourne and Jolimont, including Yarra Park, Fitzroy Gardens and Treasury Gardens, as well as local parks and reserves
- plantings in streets including roundabouts, median strips and footpaths
Social & Communications
The Social & Communications Sub-committee plans social and fundraising gatherings for members of the EMG and the wider East Melbourne & Jolimont . It also
- ensures members are kept up-to-date with developments in East Melbourne and the activities of the EMG
- oversees the production of the East Melbourne & Jolimont Magazine, for the whole East Melbourne community
- ensures our website and social media is kept up-to date
- advises on other means of communicating with members or the wider community.
The Membership Sub-committee works to increase EMG membership and to diversify its composition, so as to ensure we can effectively represent the community as a whole, and have the financial strength to do so.
Finance & Governance
Convenor Greg Watson
The Finance and Governance Sub-committee considers:
- financial management
- governance, including proposed changes to EMG rules or guidelines
- means of achieving cost savings and raising revenue