A committee is elected annually to set directions and make decisions on behalf of members, and is supported by a network of seven sub-committees, and other members who volunteer their time for particular activities.
The 2022-23 Committee is:
Other Committee Members
Shelley Faubel, Bill Gillies, Jenny Owen, Krystyn Henrickson, Judy Hogg, Andrew Walpole, Andrew Pyman, Luke Martin, Amelie Louise
The current sub-committees and their 2021 Convenors are:
- Amenities Jenny Owen
- Communications Amelie Louise
- Finance & Governance Greg Watson
- Heritage & Planning Greg Bisinella
- Membership Krystyn Hendrickson
- Parks & Gardens Luke Martin
- Social Judy Hogg
Committee meetings are held monthly. Sub-committees generally also meet monthly.
The EMG office is located at ‘The Hut’, which is the red brick building on the corner of Albert and Powlett Streets, in Powlett Reserve.
The committee is supported by an administrative officer, Carolyn Fyfe, who works part-time, either remotely or at The EMG ‘Hut’ in Powlett Reserve. She can be contacted on 9415 7570 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sub Committee Functions
Each Sub-committee has a convenor, who is a member of the main EMG committee.
Other members are from the main EMG committee and the wider EMG membership. The sub-committees advise the main EMG committee (Unless there has been a specific delegation of authority subcommittees do not make EMG decisions.
The Amenities Sub-committee considers issues that affect residential amenity including:
- waste management
- street and footpath cleaning and maintenance
- graffiti management
- liquor licensing
The Communications sub-committee:
- ensures members are kept up-to-date with developments in East Melbourne and the activities of the EMG
- oversees the production of the East Melbourne & Jolimont Magazine, for the whole East Melbourne community
- ensures our website and social media is kept up-to date
- advises on other means of communicating with members or the wider community.
Heritage & Planning
The Heritage & Planning Sub-committee considers and advises the EMG on development proposals and their likely impact on the heritage and amenity of East Melbourne and Jolimont. It recommends, in accordance with EMG policy whether objections or appeals should be made to proposals or planning decisions. It also advises only broader planning and heritage policies and issues likely to affect East Melbourne and Jolimont.
Parks & Gardens
The Parks & Gardens Sub-committee considers issues relating to:
- public parks and gardens in East Melbourne and Jolimont, including Yarra Park, Fitzroy Gardens and Treasury Gardens, as well as local parks and reserves
- plantings in streets including roundabouts, median strips and footpaths
The Social Sub-committee plans social and fundraising gatherings for members of the EMG and the wider East Melbourne & Jolimont community.
The Membership Sub-committee works to increase EMG membership, to diversify its composition and to ensure its views and interests are made known to the committee, so as to ensure we can effectively represent the community as a whole, and have the financial strength to do so.
Finance & Governance
The Finance and Governance Sub-committee considers:
- financial management
- governance, including proposed changes to EMG rules or guidelines
- means of achieving cost savings and raising revenue
Former Committee executive members (1953- ) are listed here.